Designation: The Osler Institute designates this live activity for a maximum of 29 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course will help you improve your critical reasoning and evaluation as well as communication skills in an intensive 3-day case review course designed to help you zero in on what is most clinically relevant for diagnosis, surgical approach, and case management in all essential areas of general surgery. The course covers standard of care relevant cases utilizing a with half-hour public mock oral exam format. Participants and faculty review face-to-face in a 25-minute simulation of the oral board process followed by faculty critique and audience response; 2-4 cases are reviewed in each 30 minute session for a total of 40 to 80 case reviews per day.
Course fee includes participating in one public mock oral session and observing others being examined. Learn from doing and from observing others. Participants may purchase additional public or private mock oral sessions. Please contact the Osler office prior to that time to ensure availability
This course will be held at: Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
Book your group rate for Osler General Surgery Orals
Package Rates per night: Single $249.00
Package Rate Includes: Room, Taxes, and banquet fee.
Both Uber and Lyft are available as well as local taxi service.
The Osler Institute makes your hotel reservations; however, you will need to call the hotel 3 to 5 days after registering to secure the room with your credit card.
Lodging charges are not included in the registration fee. If not staying under the Osler room block at the course hotel there is a per day charge to cover the cost of the meeting space, food and beverage package plus associated fees and taxes; costs may vary by location. Said costs are all included in the Osler room block rate along with applicable room taxes.
Oral Course Surgical Topic Areas Covered: Abdominal Surgery: Abdominal Wall and Hernia *** Anorectal/Large Intestine I, II & III *** Hepatobiliary I & II *** Pancreas *** Small Intestine *** Stomach & Duodenum *** Other Organs and Areas: Breast *** Endocrine I & II *** Esophagus *** Head & Neck *** Skin & Soft Tissue I & II *** Thoracic Surgery *** Other: Critical Care I, II & III *** Pediatric Surgery I & II *** Trauma I, II & III *** Vascular Surgery I, II & III
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
• Describe preoperative, operative and postoperative patient care in the principle component areas of general surgery specifically: diseases of the head and neck, breast, skin and soft tissues, alimentary tract, abdomen, vascular system, endocrine system, comprehensive trauma management and emergency operations and surgical critical care.
• Demonstrate skill and understanding in the diagnosis and management of patients in clinical surgical case scenarios from all areas of general surgery.
• Explain non-operative management options for patients, on the surgical service, which may or may not require surgical intervention.
• Demonstrate an understanding of tumor staging and describe the appropriate surgical and/or nonsurgical management required for each stage.
• Describe any randomly chosen operation from start to finish.
The Osler Institute is so confident that our programs are the best that we guarantee: if you have utilized an Osler course and then failed the examination, you may re-enroll until you pass tuition free. For full details see our Terms and Conditions