“…I believe it is a ‘great course’” * “I feel [the course] helped me pass.” *
The Osler Institute has over thirty years of experience in preparing physicians for their board examinations. We can help you today.
A survey of Osler participants shows significantly higher pass rates for Osler students compared with those who did not take our course.
The difference in pass rates is difficult to explain away by self-selection in attendance over-representing those who would have passed without taking the Osler course.
“Osler gives … unfair advantage” said a Board Trustee. “He’s wrong and right,” reported an Osler participant who heard the trustee’s comment. “The course does give candidates an advantage – but it’s not unfair.” This student had failed his boards before taking the Osler course but told us that he passed easily after doing the course. “This time didn’t even feel like an exam. It was like having a discussion with a colleague.”
The Osler course can work for you too.
- Increase basic knowledge and clinical skills
- Prepare candidates for written board exams
- Provide practicing physicians with a review and update
- Home study questions with answers and review
- Seminar with Powerpoints and lecture-note syllabus
- Practice test for your written exam
Designation: The Osler Institute designates this live activity for a maximum of 30 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course will be held at: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago, 9599 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie, Illinois, 60077
Hone your critical reasoning and communication skills in an intensive 3-day case review course designed to help you zero in on what is most clinically relevant for diagnosis, surgical approach, and case management in all essential areas of orthopaedic surgery. In this course, participants present cases from their own case list and are questioned about data gathering and image interpretation, diagnosis, treatment, technical aspects, and outcome. Each oral case review session utilizes cases selected by the participant before the course in order to allow matching with faculty expertise. Participants and faculty review face-to-face in a 25-minute simulation of the oral board process followed by faculty critique and audience response; 2-4 cases are reviewed in each 30-minute session for a total of 40 to 80 case reviews per day. Communication skills are critical for an orthopaedic surgeon to be able to obtain accurate patient histories, establish correct diagnoses, and explain treatment plans to patients and surgical team members; the latter is especially important to reducing medical errors.
Course fees include participating in one public mock oral session per day and observing others being examined. Participants learn from doing and from observing others. Participants may purchase additional public or private mock oral sessions; however, faculty availability and topics may be limited within two weeks of the course. Please contact the Osler office prior to that time to insure availability.
Mock Oral Exam Topics:
- Reconstructive Orthopaedics
- Foot and Ankle Orthopaedics
- Hand Surgery
- Musculoskeletal Oncology
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Surgery of the Spine
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Lodging charges are not included in the registration fee. If not staying under the Osler room block at the course hotel there is a per day charge to cover the cost of the meeting space, food and beverage package plus associated fees and taxes; costs may vary by location. Said costs are all included in the Osler room block rate along with applicable room taxes.
- Cancellation Policy: Subject to a $100 fee, refunds will be made for cancellations received at least 14 days before the course begins.